syncronisation between remote and local

All about using TurboFTP. Exchange your use experience or post questions/problems here.

Moderator: idler

syncronisation between remote and local

Postby Anti » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:33 pm

I have a local version of my website that I use for development, in addition to the remote 'live site'. Once I have finished making a set of changes locally, I'd like to upload only the altered files. Conversely, every week or so I'd like to download all the images, file attachments, avatars, etc. that my users have added to the live site, so the two sites become syncronised.

I was hoping that the sync function would help me do that, but I don't quite understand how the timestamp system is supposed to work.

The 'modified' dates on my local installation are all completely different, ranging from year 2005 to the present. I don't really understand why this is, because the latest install I did was only a few weeks ago. I can only assume that the 'modified date' is not linked to the 'creation date' in any way, so you can have a file which was created on the hard drive (downloaded and unzipped) in 2007, but has a modified date of 2005 when the original author last edited the file. Is that correct?

And this is what I don't understand about the sync feature. The left pane (my local directories) lists 'modified' date, whereas the right pane (my remote site) lists the 'creation date' (ie. the date and time that the files were uploaded). In order to compare the files to see which ones have been modified the most recently, it would be necessary to compare the two modified dates, but this doesn't seem to be possible? I don't understand why the creation date appears at all - it is of no use when trying to sync.

When I use 'both' in the sync options, Turbo does catch the local files that I've just edited and marks them for upload, but it also wants to download the thousands of php files which haven't been changed, I assume because they have a newer creation date than my local files (they will always have a newer creation date than my local files because I uploaded them using the local files as the source).

Any help or advice about this?
Cheers.
Anti

Postby Anti » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:51 pm

I still need help with this, and I've only got a few days left on my
evaluation - the sync feature is the only reason I'm considering this
ftp client. So if I can't get it to work, a potential customer may be
lost, especially if the software doesn't have basic support!

Cheers.
Anti

Postby admin » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:25 pm

A regular FTP server should return modified date/time in response to LIST command. What type of FTP server you are using?
admin
Support Staff

Postby Anti » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:52 pm

It's the latest version of cpanel.

But I don't think that's the problem, because in TurboFTP, in the left pane it says 'modified', and in the right pane it says 'time/date'. So I think this is actually built into TurboFTP(?)

Basically, uploading only modified and new files works, but trying to download only new/modified files does not work - Turbo wants to download ALL the files. The only reason I can think for this behaviour is that Turbo is comparing the creation (upload) dates of the remote files with the creation date of the local files. Having the remote files' creation dates listed instead of the modified dates certainly supports that theory.

My Turbo evaluation expires soon.
Anti

Postby admin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:26 pm

A more possible reason might be the timezone difference of your local computer and remote FTP server. To find out if this is the reason, upload a SMALL file to the server, then look at the date/time of that file shown in listing the server returns. If the difference is larger than 1 min, you need to fill in the offset in [Site settings | File | Server time offset] to compensate this so that TurboFTP can make meaning full time-based comparison. The offset is calculated by:

Time zone offset = localtime - remotetime
admin
Support Staff

Return to Using TurboFTP