Auto zip compression before FTP transfer

Request enhancement, new features.

Moderator: idler

Auto zip compression before FTP transfer

Postby tmelcher » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:52 pm

If the server doesn't support Mode Z transfer, it would be nice to have the option to set up a task that at a scheduled time would compress the files within a folder into a zip, rar, etc. format automatically before FTPing.
tmelcher

Postby admin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:53 am

Hi

Do you need this feature for backup purpose? How would you like the files to be compressed - should they be compressed individually or into a single archive?
admin
Support Staff

Postby tmelcher » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:47 pm

We don't need this for backup purposes. We send files via FTP to a company for printing. Some of these files can become quite large and take a long time to transfer. We would like to be able to drop these files to be printed into a folder. At a scheduled time this folder would be checked to see if there was a file within it. If a file exists, it would be zipped individually and sent to the remote site. The old file would then need to be moved or deleted from the folder. This process would continue until the folder is empty of files to be sent. Other options to think about would be filtering so that if a file with an incorrect extension or name got into the folder it would not be sent. Email updates with a log of the transfer job would be cool as well.
tmelcher

Postby admin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:52 pm

Could you let me know your email address so that we can discuss your needs in more details.
admin
Support Staff

This is what scripts are for

Postby pschon » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:22 am

Oh man this kills me. You could do what you want with a simple Perl script in no time at all.

Don't take time away from the cute ftp developers for such things :) ...

But seriously, do the bookmark thing. I can't get into your code to make the change myself. But heck I can do what that guy wants and he ought to have someone in his company who can do it. It doesn't seem to me to be the job of some windows gui ftp app.
pschon

Return to Suggestion Box