Transfer retry

All about using TurboFTP. Exchange your use experience or post questions/problems here.

Moderator: idler

Transfer retry

Postby segil » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:08 pm

Hello,

currently I am testing your TurboFTP program. It is really a great problem to use! Especially if you need stable a reliable connection. I have got one question about that. We need a good FTP connection between two networks over the internet for the exchange of data. Sometimes the connection drops, so it is important that the client reestablishes the data transfer once the connection is back. I am testing this and found that when the connection is gone for less than a few minutes, this causes a problem with our Microsoft IIS FTP server. (version 6)
The following occurs with a upload from a FTP client to a FTP server
1. Data tranfser is in progress
2. Connection drops
3. Within one minute connection is back again
4. TurboFTP reconnects and starts trying to continu the data transfer.
5. Because IIS FTP server still thinks the old connection exists, this locks the file on the FTP server and the file cannot be overwritten, so TurboFTP gives an error message.
6. TurboFTP tries 30 times to reconnect (very fast) and then gives up.
7. The data transfer is stopped and TurboFTP no longer tries to reconnect.
8. After a few minutes the inactive connection on the FTP server is cleared, not sooner. Setting the connection timeout on the FTP server doesn't help.
9. By now TurboFTP doesn't try to resend the file, so the automatic proces of sending files is gone.

Possible solutions:
1. Set IIS FTP server timeout to 10-20 seconds. But this doesn't do the trick.
2. TurboFTP should try to resend the file slower and give the FTP server a chance to remove the inactive connection.

This doesn't occur if the connection is interrupted for > 2 minutes, because by then the inactive connection on the FTP server is removed bij IIS, so the uploads aren't blocked.

What is the best way to solve this?

Thanks for your help!
segil

Postby hardik » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:18 pm

Hi,

You can configure the Upload/Download speed using TurboFTP. Please follow these steps to do so.

Go to View -> Options -> Transfer -> Speed Limit. Here you can configure the speed of file transfer according to your requirement.
hardik

Postby admin » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:26 pm

Use a large number of Single File Retry count ( in Options | Transfer ) and have it try until IIS releases the file lock.
admin
Support Staff

Upload / Trasfer retry after network connection lost

Postby Krishna » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:39 am

Hi ,

Currently I am testing Turbo FTP for the feasibility of our requirement in one of our environment.

I have downloaded the trial, and tried to upload a big file. Having uploaded 45% of the file to the FTP location, if the FTP connection is lost in between due to network unavailability, the Upload is being started from scratch. i.e. from the First Byte onwards.

It is not resuming upload from the last byte transferred. Does Turbo FTP supports, this kind of resume / retry of transfer since the last byte transfer ?

Even I did check the option button option "Use APPE" under under View->Options->Advanced cont'..

Eagrely waiting for the response.

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely

M. Krishna Kumar :D
Krishna

Postby admin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi,

Some FTP server stores the file being uploaded with a temporary filename. If you transfer drops in the middle and TurboFTP manages to reconnect, it won't see that file in the remote directory and thus will start the upload from the beginning.

It is the case with your server?

Leon
admin
Support Staff

Return to Using TurboFTP